As a homeowner, it can be frustrating if your cooling system stops working on a sunny day. The heat becomes unbearable, and you’re left wondering what to do next. Well, that’s a sign you’re facing an air conditioning emergency.
Whether it’s a sudden breakdown or an unexpected malfunction, it’s important to know what to do. Taking the right steps will help you stay calm and get your AC up and running.
There’s no need to worry, we’ve got you covered. Join us in this article as we show you what you should do during an air conditioning emergency.
Let’s get started!
Why is My Air Conditioning System Not Working?
This is the first question that might come to your mind if your cooling system stops working. There’s no need to panic, let’s help you unveil the problem:
- Mechanical failure: Sometimes, the components in your AC system such as compressors, motors, or fans, can stop working due to wear and tear.
- Electrical problems: Faulty wiring, circuit breakers tripping, or power outages can cause your AC to shut down. When this happens, it’s best to look for an emergency air conditioning service to prevent further damage.
- Refrigerant leaks: If the cooling liquid (refrigerant) inside your AC leaks out, it might not be able to cool the air properly.
- Clogged filters: Dirty or clogged air filters can restrict your cooling system’s airflow. This makes it work harder and sometimes overheat or freeze.
- Thermostat issues: Sometimes the thermostat that controls your AC can get mixed up and make it act weird.
- Drainage problems: Blocked or clogged drains can cause water buildup within your system. If this is not fixed on time, it can lead to leaks and potential water damage.
- Inadequate maintenance: Lack of regular maintenance, such as cleaning and servicing, can cause your AC to break down. Over time, dust, debris, and grime can accumulate in your system and if not cleaned properly, it can start acting up.
- Improper installation: Poor installation practices like incorrect sizing, improper refrigerant charge, and other issues can affect your system’s performance.
Here’s something you should know: it’s a good idea to have an expert fix your AC if something goes wrong. This will help you avoid more problems.
4 Expert Steps to Take During an Air Conditioning Emergency
Here’s the truth: your cooling system can stop working due to several reasons. However, knowing what to do in an air conditioning emergency helps you prevent further damage. We’ve laid down some steps you might want to consider:
1. Stay calm and assess the situation
When you realize your air conditioner isn’t working right, just take a deep breath – don’t panic! Remember, getting worried won’t make things better.
Now, here’s what you should do: keep a calm mind and start by looking at your thermostat settings. It might not be an air conditioning emergency. It could be that you accidentally set something wrong.
Sometimes, it’s little things like this that can cause your AC to malfunction. So, to stay cool, consider checking your system settings. Perhaps, with a few changes, you might have your system working perfectly again in no time.
2. DIY temporary solutions
If your AC is having a major issue, it’s wise to contact an HVAC expert for an emergency air conditioning service. However, while waiting for them, there are some temporary solutions you can apply to stay cool..
- Try to avoid areas in your home that are open to direct sunlight. You can cover them with blinds or light curtains.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water to reduce your body’s temperature.
- Place box fans in your window to help push out hot air, and use ceiling fans to circulate cooler air throughout your room.
- Fill a bowl with ice and position it in front of a fan to create a makeshift cool breeze.
- Soak a cloth or towel in cold water, wring it out, and place it on your pulse points (wrists or ankles).
- Place an ice pack behind your neck or on your forehead to help reduce your body temperature.
- If you’re feeling sleepy, tuck an ice pack in your pillowcase for a cooler sleep.
- You can also dampen a sheet and hang it in front of an open window for a refreshing cool breeze.
These hacks can help keep you comfortable and calm till the technician arrives to fix your AC.
3. Optimize your appliance usage and seal off empty rooms
During an air conditioning emergency, try to minimize the use of heat-generating appliances. You might want to turn off your ovens, stoves, and clothes dryers. These can contribute to the heat buildup in your home.
Also, seal off empty rooms to maximize the effectiveness of your temporary cooling measures. Try concentrating your efforts on one or two rooms instead of trying to cool your entire home.
4. Check the basics
If you need an air conditioning emergency, you might want to consider diagnosing before hiring an HVAC expert. Here’s something you can do: check if your circuit breaker has tripped. If it’s off, give it a little nudge by flipping it back on.
Also, don’t forget to check your AC’s air filter, they act as its lungs. Take a look at it. If it’s clogged up with dust and dirt, your cooling system might struggle to function. It’s like trying to breathe with a stuffy nose. So, clean it if it’s dirty, or consider replacing it to get your AC back on track.
Call a Professional Technician Today!
Checking the basics is a good way to start during an air conditioning emergency. However, if your initial checks don’t solve the problem, it’s time to call in the cavalry – an expert HVAC technician. They can diagnose and fix complex issues in your cooling system.
Here in Arizona, Morehartac is the right emergency air conditioning service for you. Our experts are trained with the right tools and skills to get your system running in no time. We offer services like AC repairs, installations, maintenance, and other HVAC services.
We’re certified and known for providing quality services at pocket-friendly rates. Let’s help you give your AC the treatment it deserves. Reach out to us.